Re: kde applications crash (Was: no permissions to libc.so.x libpthread.so.x and other files)

From: Jonathan Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:11:28 -0500
On 08/19/05 10:51, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> Jonathan Noack wrote:

>>> As I've said I have all latest software (kdevelop 3.2.2 and kde 3.4.2)
>>>
>>> When I've upgraded from 5.3-release to 6-current I did recompile all
>>> the ports (it was 4 or 5 months ago)
>>>
>>> Is it good solution to manually remove such old files like libc.so.5,
>>> libpthread.so.1 libc_r.so.5 and make a symlinks to libc.so.6
>>> lipthread.so.2 and libc_r.so.6 respectively?
>>> Since kmail works only with libc.so.5 for me, I'm afraid to get it
>>> completely broken.
>>
>> Short answer:
>> Recompile all your ports.
>>
>> Long answer:
>> To see how polluted your binaries/libraries are, install the
>> sysutils/libchk port and run "libchk -v".  You might want to redirect
>> that to a file as it is quite verbose (note that firefox and
>> thunderbird produce a lot of noise that can be ignored).  The only
>> things that should be linked to libc.so.5 are 5.x binaries that you
>> downloaded and didn't compile (e.g., the binary port of 'rar').  If
>> you see more binaries linked to libc.so.5, you need to recompile all
>> your ports. Once that is done, you may delete all unreferenced
>> libraries (according to libchk) OLDER than your last build/install
>> world.  Until there is a misc/compat5x port, I use the following
>> settings in /etc/libmap.conf so I can delete ALL old libraries (but
>> still allow 'rar' to work):
>>
>> # Work with 5.x binaries
>> libc.so.5                       libc.so.6
>> libm.so.3                       libm.so.4
>> libstdc++.so.4                  libstdc++.so.5
>
> I believe you need a mapping for libpthread.so.1 to libpthread.so.2, too.

If you have anything binary-only AND threaded then you are correct.  I
do not:

$ ldd /usr/local/bin/rar
/usr/local/bin/rar:
         libstdc++.so.4 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 (0x280bf000)
         libm.so.3 => /lib/libm.so.4 (0x2818e000)
         libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x281a4000)

--
Jonathan Noack | noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195