Re: XFS for FreeBSD, new snapshot available

From: Jon Dama <jd_at_ugcs.caltech.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:51:55 -0700 (PDT)
I'd just like to say,

I'm really glad to see this work going on.

On another note though (and I don't claim this applies in this case), the
gradual adoption of the practice by various developers to squirl away
changes to FreeBSD in their private repositories is responsible for a
substantial loss in quality in the subsequent releases.

I realize a less active -current is easier on developers--I ran
5.0-current throughout much of its life-- -current become down right
pedestrian most of the time.

Changes need more eyeballs + users at incremental stages than current
development practices seem to enable.  Yes it is more work to make a
series of chuncked commits to -current but the reward is early detection
of mistakes, clear intermediate states to revert to and rethink, and
better feedback from the rest of the community.

I think -core needs to step-up and re-evaluate the perforce approach.

Is it really better?