Re: The case for FreeBSD

From: Sam <sah_at_softcardsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:05:29 -0500 (EST)
I use FreeBSD because the system startup is super
easy to manage (rc.conf), the tools come with the
OS, the code for src/ is very approachable,
the online documentation has always met my needs,
and the ports baby, ooooh, the ports.

For me, the draw is the ease of use.

I am a unix 'software tools' kind of guy, though.
Your typical lunix user isn't.  IMO, graduating to
a BSD means actually having to understand the
system instead of just a collection of interfaces
and HOWTOs.

I think we could survive and expand our user base
quite nicely by focusing on the growing number of
experienced linux/solaris users who haven't yet tried
a BSD.  We could start by writing articles comparing common
tasks in all (eg: why rc.conf's ifconfig_sis0="..."
is easier to use and understand than redhat's
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*).  A
sufficiently advanced user will get it.  Leave the
job of creating a soft fall into unix to the lunix
crowd.  Their passion is to pull users off of
windows, so it makes sense for them.

Just my $.02 donation for the shed,

sah