Re: The case for FreeBSD

From: Matthew George <mdg_at_secureworks.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:05:38 -0500
James Snow wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 10:39:22AM -0500, Steve Ames wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 05:40:32AM -0900, Andy Firman wrote:
>>
>>>Your comments are disturbing.  I run a few 4.10 servers and am getting ready
>>>for a couple new ones and would like to go with 5.3 stable.
>>
>>For a while 5.X was pretty iffy. A number of people who tried it at that
>>time are still stuck with that impression. IMHO, its unjustified.
>

> I hate to post a "me too" but I feel compelled to offer my wholehearted
> agreement with this statement.

I run many servers on both 4.10 and 5.3.  My 5.3 servers, without a doubt, have
been as reliable as my 4.x servers.  Applications they host range from
firewalls/gateways to file, database, and web servers.  I have a couple
colleagues that have described problems getting more desktop-oriented things
running properly (one example that comes to mind is VMware, though I haven't
tried to use it under 5.3 myself ...).  I run a 5.3 workstation and it works
fine for me (*shrug*).  I can definitely confirm that in the server role,
however, 5.3 is up to the task, and anyone that claims otherwise needs to have a
second look.  I'm running a mix of IBM and Dell servers ...

--
Matthew George
SecureWorks Technical Operations