Re: The case for FreeBSD

From: Craig Reyenga <craig_at_puresimplicity.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:24:36 -0500
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:09:03AM +0000, Bob Bishop wrote:
> At 10:56 08/02/2005, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> >Craig Reyenga <craig_at_puresimplicity.net> writes:
> >> Have you heard of the Ferrari Enzo? Of course you have. Have you ever
> >> seen an advertisement for it on televsion? Of course not. The car's V12
> >> engine and ceramic brakes speak for themselves [1].
> >
> >You're mistaken.  Ferrari spend a lot of money on advertising - they
> >just don't spend it on advertising to end-users.  Instead, they
> >advertise to the press: they go to trade shows, hold press events,
> >invite journalists to test-drive their cars etc. and rely on the press
> >to bring the message to the end-users.  They also advertise through
> >tie-in merchandise (posters, calendars, model cars, etc.)
>
> They also run a Formula 1 team with an eye-watering budget.

Just to stick with my original analogy, wouldn't funding developers be
similar to having an F1 team? I would rather see that than some
bottom-rung animated GIF ad campaign, or whatever it is that people
think FreeBSD needs to do* to attract more users. I guess I am in luck
because the developers already do get funding; we have one such person
working on FreeBSD full-time, right now.

* What exactly ARE people suggesting to do?

-Craig