Re: Any X11 benchmarks out there?

From: Eric Anholt <eta_at_lclark.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:07:18 -0800
On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 02:31 -0600, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> Since the topic of general system benchmarks and MySQL benchmarks has come
> up again recently, I was wondering if anyone is aware of any X11
> benchmarks.  While X11 performance would certainly be greatly dependent on
> your video card, I could also see how it would stress IPC and the
> scheduler, as the benchmark application handed off commands to the X11
> server.  So, if there's a good benchmark, it would be useful in comparing
> 5.3 to 4.11 to linux, etc.
>
> The only X11 benchmark I could find in my quick searching is xbench, which
> is very old and doesn't appear to want to build (I didn't try to figure
> out why, I hate makefiles.)
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/X11/contrib/utilities/xbench-0.2-src.tar.gz
>
> Is anyone aware of something more modern?

The standard tool for benchmarking 2D X stuff is x11perf.  It tests lots
of core protocol stuff, i.e. not the stuff that's really important in
terms of performance these days.  These days the X Server is spending a
lot more time grubbing around in framebuffer memory (really, really
slow) due to the lack of Render acceleration.

3D probably isn't important to test, as it's all done client-side
(almost no IPC) if you've got acceleration.  And never use glxgears for
benchmarking the 3d drivers or I will have to beat you senseless.

--
Eric Anholt                                eta_at_lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt_at_FreeBSD.org