Re: HEADSUP: cpufreq import complete, acpi_throttling changed

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:13:06 -0800
> Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 13:21:32 -0800
> From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi_at_freebsd.org
>
> I've finished the major work of importing cpufreq.  As part of this, the
> sysctls for acpi throttling have been removed.  The power_profile script
> has been updated, so you can use performance/economy_cpu_freq= in
> rc.conf to set AC on/offline cpu frequencies.  The acpi throttling
> support has been compiled into acpi_perf.ko so load that to get
> throttling.  Do a sysctl dev.cpu to get an understanding of the cpufreq
> sysctls.
>
> If you have throttling, please test the new configuration to be sure it
> still works as before.  Final upcoming work will be manpage support and
> bugfixing as necessary.

On my T30, throttling has simply vanished. Kernel sources as of this
afternoon at about 11:00 PST.

Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   24 0xc0400000 3ba9c4   kernel
 2    1 0xc07bb000 1e4b0    if_wi.ko
 3    1 0xc07da000 4ce4     acpi_video.ko
 4   18 0xc07df000 53650    acpi.ko
 5    1 0xc0833000 32a0     cpufreq.ko
 6    1 0xc0837000 3b8c     acpi_ibm.ko
 7    1 0xc083b000 49c0     acpi_perf.ko
 8    1 0xc0840000 2ca8     wlan_wep.ko
 9    1 0xc1d04000 a000     ntfs.ko
10    1 0xc1d83000 6000     linprocfs.ko
11    1 0xc1d89000 15000    linux.ko
12    1 0xc1dab000 3000     fdescfs.ko
13    1 0xc1e54000 3000     daemon_saver.ko

sysctl hw.acpi does not list any throttling entries at all.

It does list an amazing number of frequency settings, but only 1800 and
1200 seem to actually work. Perhaps the others are derived by mixing the
two capabilities? On the earlier versions of cpufreq I was getting only
the two frequencies listed along with the 8 throttling states.

Did I miss a message on this?

I am especially concerned because my CPU is now running VERY hot when
busy. It never used to exceed about 180F and now it quickly jumps to
190+ when the system is working (such as a buildkernel). Since it was
previously running without throttling, I don't understand why things are
suddenly worse.

Any idea on what is happening? I don't want to fry my T30.

dmesg and config available on request.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)