Re: HEADSUP: cpufreq import complete, acpi_throttling changed

From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:33:27 -0800
Kevin Oberman wrote:
>>Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 13:21:32 -0800
>>From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
>>Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi_at_freebsd.org
>>

>>If you have throttling, please test the new configuration to be sure it
>>still works as before.  Final upcoming work will be manpage support and
>>bugfixing as necessary.
>

> On my T30, throttling has simply vanished. Kernel sources as of this
> afternoon at about 11:00 PST.
>
> sysctl hw.acpi does not list any throttling entries at all.

It shouldn't, they were merged into the sysctl dev.cpu output as you
mention below.

> It does list an amazing number of frequency settings, but only 1800 and
> 1200 seem to actually work. Perhaps the others are derived by mixing the
> two capabilities? On the earlier versions of cpufreq I was getting only
> the two frequencies listed along with the 8 throttling states.
>
> Did I miss a message on this?

Try cvsupping to now.  I did some commits about an hour or two ago that
should address throttling not attaching.

> I am especially concerned because my CPU is now running VERY hot when
> busy. It never used to exceed about 180F and now it quickly jumps to
> 190+ when the system is working (such as a buildkernel). Since it was
> previously running without throttling, I don't understand why things are
> suddenly worse.
>
> Any idea on what is happening? I don't want to fry my T30.

One person reported Cx states being broken by the cpufreq import.
(Well, actually he got a C3 state that he didn't have before but it
didn't work.)  Try setting hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest to C1 or something
you're sure works.

Send me the output of sysctl dev.cpu, dmesg, and devinfo -rv.

--
Nate