Re: 5.4 and USB keyboard support

From: Julian Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:03:25 +0100
Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 09:27:37AM +0100, Martin Nilsson wrote:
> > I'm having trouble with a Belkin KVM switch that provides keyboard/mouse=
> =20
> > to each server with one USB cable. On 5.3-R this is completely broken,=20
> > on 5.3-STABLE is seems to work OK when booting from a harddrive. When=20
> > PXE booting I don't get any keyboard until i disconnect/reconnect the=20
> > USB cable, then I get a US keyboard layout not the Swedish that I have=20
> > specified in rc.conf.

Layout switching is easy to add: My laptop has English key caps,
my external keyboard American, I frequently have to unplug USB adaptor
'cos something (*) locks up keyboard on 5.3-RELEASE , so I have
	rc.conf: "keymap="uk.iso-jhs" # some tweaked version of uk.iso
& /etc/usbd.conf:
  # www.delock.de	Converts PS/2 Kbd (used) + mouse (untried) to USB plug.
  device  "jhs Buddy (TM) PS/2 Keyboard-PS/2 Mouse - Cypress Semiconductor"
        vendor  0x04b4
        product 0x8328
        release 0x0001
        attach "kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 -l us.unix    < /dev/console;/usr/X11R6/bin/xmodmap -display laps:0 /home/jhs/.xmodmap/toshiba.s5100-603.init"
        detach "kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 -l uk.iso-jhs < /dev/console;/usr/X11R6/bin/xmodmap -display laps:0 /home/jhs/.xmodmap/english"
        #       /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/
        # Adaptor also has a mouse socket, not used by me as I use a USB mouse.
        #       External keyboard is American layout.
        #       Internal keyboard is English with black keycaps, can't be relabelled.
        # usbd starts before xdm, so xmodmap fails at boot, but might work later, xauth permitting.
        # if adapter is unplugged & replugged.
        #       dmesg during attach reports:    device names: ukbd0,ums1
        # devname       "ums[0-9]+"

Extension on (*) above:
  #!/bin/sh
  # /home/jhs/bin/.sh/reskbd
  # See Also /etc/usbd.conf Untested. To be called by mouse click.
  #
  # This script will allow me, via my external USB mouse, to invoke a
  # re-initialisation of my external keyboard, (PS/2 type) which
  # periodically fails, (only fails when running through USB adapter
  # to the laptop.  Before this script was written, to get keyboard
  # working again, I had to unplug & replug the USB adapter into the
  # laptop.  I had wondered if maybe laptop wasn't providing enough
  # power, or maybe laptop was occasionaly dropping power to USB adapter,
  # leaving it to reconfigure, so I added a USB hub with mains power
  # plugged in, it didn't help.  My external mouse ia a USB mouse so
  # still available whenever the lockup occurs.  As I havent tried
  # plugging a serial mouse into the USB adapter yet, I dont know if
  # its the adapter or keyboard thats locking up, or USB under FreeBSD,
  # or a problem with laptop)

  kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 -l uk.iso-jhs < /dev/console
  kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 -l us.unix    < /dev/console
-
Julian Stacey        Net & Sys Eng Consultant, Munich       http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii (Html=Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.