Re: Devd event from GEOM?

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_harmony.village.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:47:19 -0700 (MST)
> If devd tells you that some FC mesh just got plugged in and you
> interpret that to start a backup onto your dedicated FC drive, then
> it matters a lot if it got almost instantly replaced by a USB key.

The automounting daemon also needs some kind of instruction about what
to do.  If I have a usb key that has an unencrypted file system, then
you'd want to mount it, but if it has an encrypted one, then you'd
want to mount that, which lives at a different address.

There also needs to be some smarts to the automount daemon.  You'd see
that da1s1 arrive, but if there was a DOS file system on it, you'd
mount that.  If there was a FreeBSD label in it, then you'd want to
mount all of da1s1[abdefgh] that exist and have a slice type of ffs.
And what if it has a linux file system?  The generate case is
relatively easy, but these sorts of things get much harder.

> I think we should have DEVFS inject "ad0 appeared, type=DISK" to devd
> and leave it at that.

Where do we get the type information?  And do we do slices?

Warner