Re: Looking for networking solution.

From: Olivier Nicole <on_at_cs.ait.ac.th>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:52:51 +0700 (ICT)
> I want to just dump all the packets between two satelite links
> without checking for ack back and forth which creates latency and
> long ping times.

The latency is created by the satellite transmission delay, not by the
ack. ACK suffer from the latency, but do not create it.

> Correct. That's why I asked about this problem here.
> I was in doubt something like that existed for FreeBSD.
> We are willing to pay someone to develop such a solution for FreeBSD.
> I'd love to get in touch with someone willing to pick up that challenge.

I doubt that anyone will be interested in developping a protocol that
do not care about the reliability of transmission. Just saying "drop
the ack" is not the way to go.

If you are talking about a protocole that does dialogue (like email),
suppressing the ack will not help: one end must wait until it receives
one question before it can answer, and then the ack is transmitted in
the same paket as the answer.

If you are talking about a more "one way" protocol (like http for
ex. request one file and then wait for the file to flow), a better a
pproach would be to allow a bigger chunk of data to get through before
the first ack is due (to fill the pipe). That can be done by
increading the window size of TCP, without damaging the retransmission
capabilities.

As the window size change would need to b done in every client and
server, we were once considering to put two reverse NAT at each end of
the satellite link. The NAT being in charge of changing the window
size (I don't remember the full details, but it looked feasible).

Olivier