Re: Reboot while booting with new per-CPU allocator

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:59:45 -0500
Robert Watson wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>>> Interestingly, there's been a bunch of reports of this in the past
>>> few days, and there weren't immediately after the malloc commit.  I
>>> wonder if some other recent change has increased the amount of UMA
>>> memory allocated early in the boot, increasing the level of reports...
>>

>>  Increase UMA_BOOT_PAGES to prevent a crash during initialization.  See
>>  http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?42AD8270.8060906 for a detailed
>>  description of the crash.
>

> Yeah, this is the fix, but I guess I'm wondering what caused a recent
> spate of problem reports -- was it a delayed response to the malloc
> change as people gradually upgraded, or some other recent kernel change
> that caused increase demand for memory.

For me, it was the recent lack of apathy - finally getting around to
trying some combos for suspending my laptop, I noticed that having
apic+smp in my kernel made me crash on boot.

Maybe it's some of the modules that have changed - the ones that caused
the problems for me were:

snd_pcm
snd_ich
sound
vkbd

If those weren't loaded via loader.conf, I was fine.  Maybe the change
is inside one of those.

As I've said before, I'm no coder, so take all that with a grain of salt
- but hopefully it's helpful to someone.

Eric

A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.