VESA non-VGA flag

From: Jia-Shiun Li <jiashiun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:01:13 +0800
Hi,

These days I was trying to add a splash screen. I used VMWare to test,
but it cannot init VESA correctly, which is odd since VMWare claimed
its display to be VESA compliant. I then traced into
src/sys/i386/isa/vesa.c, found that it was cause by the flag V_NONVGA.
It will stop initializing if this flag is set, at line 655(v1.50). If
I comment it out, VESA will work on VMWare and I can happily use my
splash screen during booting.

I tried to google some info, but still cannot figure out if the
'non-VGA' flag really means 'not (IBM)VGA backward-compatible' or 'not
a display device at all'. But since anything implementing VBE must be
a display device to make sense, I suppose it to be the former. The
question is, if the checking of non-VGA flag can be safely removed? I
do not know if there is any devices depending on it to work correctly.
To me it seems ok without the checking.

Jia-Shiun.