Re: aic7xxx/aicasm manpage

From: Chuck Robey <chuckr_at_chuckr.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:10:24 +0000
Robert Watson wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Chuck Robey wrote:
>

>>My kernel build is busted, it can't find:
>>
>>cd ../../../modules;
>>MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/JULY/modules
>>KMODDIR=/boot/kernel DEBUG_FLAGS="-g" MACHINE=amd64
>>KERNBUILDDIR="/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/JULY" make  all
>>===> aac (all)
>>===> accf_data (all)
>>===> accf_http (all)
>>===> agp (all)
>>===> aha (all)
>>===> aic7xxx (all)
>>===> aic7xxx/aicasm (all)
>>make: don't know how to make aicasm.1. Stop
>>*** Error code 2
>>
>>Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/aic7xxx.
>>*** Error code 1
>>
>>Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
>>*** Error code 1
>>
>>I know that to fix this, the simplest way is to merely stick a NOMAN=
>><empty>
>>
>>into the Makefile at /sys/modules/aic7xxx/aicasm.  I don't know if
>>that's the way you'd want to fix it, but it seems to break the build for
>>me, so a prompt fix is in order, I think.
>

> Are you building a 6.x kernel from a 5.x userspace?  You can work around
> it the documented way by using buildworld and the buildkernel, or the easy
> way, by forcing NOMAN during the kernel build (or changing NO_MAN in the
> aicasm Makefile to NOMAN).  There was discussion of adding compatibility
> bits to 5.x so it could build makefiles that use NO_MAN, but I've yet to
> see that work.  Of course, my 5.x boxes where I build 6.x kernels aren't
> all that up-to-date...

This is a system that's having it's first new kernel being compiled, but
uname reports a 6.0 current, so I don';t think I've made any gross
mistake, and the branch is HEAD, so I'm doing nothing at all with 5.x, I
think.  I'm not using Make INSTALLKERNEL although I used to do that.

I already got past it by patching my Makefile, which I know is wrong,
because I'm gonna have to take it out once it gets fixed.