Re: aic7xxx/aicasm manpage

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:43:50 +0200
On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 07:10:24PM +0000, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Robert Watson wrote:
> >On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Chuck Robey wrote:
> >

> >>My kernel build is busted, it can't find:
> >>
> >>cd ../../../modules;
> >>MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/JULY/modules
> >>KMODDIR=/boot/kernel DEBUG_FLAGS="-g" MACHINE=amd64
> >>KERNBUILDDIR="/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/JULY" make  all
> >>===> aac (all)
> >>===> accf_data (all)
> >>===> accf_http (all)
> >>===> agp (all)
> >>===> aha (all)
> >>===> aic7xxx (all)
> >>===> aic7xxx/aicasm (all)
> >>make: don't know how to make aicasm.1. Stop
> >>*** Error code 2
> >>
> >>Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/aic7xxx.
> >>*** Error code 1
> >>
> >>Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
> >>*** Error code 1
> >>
> >>I know that to fix this, the simplest way is to merely stick a NOMAN=
> >><empty>
> >>
> >>into the Makefile at /sys/modules/aic7xxx/aicasm.  I don't know if
> >>that's the way you'd want to fix it, but it seems to break the build for
> >>me, so a prompt fix is in order, I think.
> >

> >Are you building a 6.x kernel from a 5.x userspace?  You can work around
> >it the documented way by using buildworld and the buildkernel, or the easy
> >way, by forcing NOMAN during the kernel build (or changing NO_MAN in the
> >aicasm Makefile to NOMAN).  There was discussion of adding compatibility
> >bits to 5.x so it could build makefiles that use NO_MAN, but I've yet to
> >see that work.  Of course, my 5.x boxes where I build 6.x kernels aren't
> >all that up-to-date...
> >

> This is a system that's having it's first new kernel being compiled, but
> uname reports a 6.0 current, so I don';t think I've made any gross
> mistake, and the branch is HEAD, so I'm doing nothing at all with 5.x, I
> think.  I'm not using Make INSTALLKERNEL although I used to do that.
>
> I already got past it by patching my Makefile, which I know is wrong,
> because I'm gonna have to take it out once it gets fixed.

But your world (including /usr/share/mk/) is 5.x.  If you had followed
the src/UPDATING instructions closely, you wouldn't hit this problem:

: To build a kernel
: -----------------
: If you are updating from a prior version of FreeBSD (even one just
: a few days old), you should follow this procedure. With a
: /usr/obj tree with a fresh buildworld,
: make -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
: make -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE

The buildworld takes care of updating make(1), and src/Makefile
takes care of using fresh share/mk files.  And so on.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru_at_FreeBSD.org