Re: FreeBSD 6.0-RC1 available

From: Nate Eldredge <nge_at_cs.hmc.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:24:59 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Andy Hilker wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/82430
>>
>> Why does the process name have []'s around it?
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
>> From "man ps":
>
> If the command vector cannot be located (usually because it has not
> been set, as is the case of system processes and/or kernel threads)
> the command name is printed within square brackets.
>
> I have this behaviour with mysqld, the bug reporter with clamd.
> Running mysqld jailed, the process name is ok and not in brackets.

Do you think this is related?  I don't know as to FreeBSD specifically,
but on other Unices this often happens for ordinary processes when they
are swapped out.  The kernel normally gets argv out of the process's
memory, but if it is swapped out, it doesn't want to bother to swap it in
just for that.  So it gives you just the command name instead.  It might
be that it's just coincidence, this happened to your non-jailed process
but not to your jailed one.

--
Nate Eldredge
nge_at_cs.hmc.edu