Re: Bsdtar and archive torture tests

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_phaedrus.sandvine.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:39:27 -0400
On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 05:43:09PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Can we import the tar stress tests as a regression test?  i.e. what is
> the license on them?

Right now the only mention of any copyright info is
# Copyright 2003, Elizabeth D. Zwicky
in one of the files.

The author states
    The test programs were written in a spirit of experimentation,
    rather than with the intention of producing software for other
    people to use.  I strongly encourage people who are interested
    in testing backup and archive programs to produce their own
    tests that cover the cases they are most interested in.  However,
    if you insist on using my programs, or just want to snicker at
    my programming, they are available from
    http://www.greatcircle.com/~zwicky

Despite that, I think they've already demonstrated their value.

The stress test consists of two perl programs.  One creates a test tree,
and the other compares file metadata between the original tree and a
restored tree.  An automated method for running the test and comparing
the results is not included (but would be easy to write, of course).

I'll contact the author to ask about the license.

--
Ed Maste, Sandvine Incorporated