Re: Am I an Idiot?

From: Beech Rintoul <freebsd_at_alaskaparadise.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 14:47:46 -0900
On Friday 08 December 2006 13:45, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're running around 25 FBSD servers, mostly 6 and a few 5-STABLE. For a
> few months, we also run our internal storage/smb/whatnot machine on
> -current. Never had ANY issues. Just works, and better than 6-*.
>
> Now, we are about to replace our MX's and I'm thinking of deploying
> -current on them instead of upcoming 6.2. Right now running tests on the
> hardware, two ProLiant DL360G3 cpu's and everything looks just fine.
>
> Am I an idiot or is anyone else out there running -current on production
> systems? I figured if one MX goes haywire at least we've got another
> one... Very interested in your opinion.
>
> Thanks /per

One of our servers, my personal server and two of my clients have been
running  -CURRENT for months. Except for some minor bumps in the road (mainly
on upgrades) they have all worked flawlessly.

One suggestion, at /usr/src/lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c go to line 176 and
#define NO_MALLOC_EXTRAS, it was put in for testing and undefined causes a
noticeable performance loss.

Running -CURRENT can be risky, but I test out each upgrade on my personal
server before putting it into production. Also, it's especially important to
read UPGRADING. It's kept me from getting bit several times.

To sum it up, I personally have no problem running -CURRENT on a production
machine.

Beech
Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech_at_alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com