Re: Firefox on -current dumps core.

From: Patrick Bowen <pbowen_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:35:33 -0500
Patrick Bowen wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I recently upgraded a Gateway MX6121 from 6.1 stable to -current,
> following the canonical procedure in /usr/src/UPDATING, and now
> whenever I try to start firefox, it dumps a core file (segmentation
> fault). Firefox was compiled from source under 6.1.
>
> Should I have upgraded from 6.1 to -current, and /then/ start adding
> ports, or does that matter? I've done some preliminary googling, but
> not found anything that looks terribly recent or promising.
>
> Any hints appreciated.

Just to close this out...

These are the steps I followed to move to current, and eliminate the
seg-faults from firefox.

1.  Installed 6.1 on a clean partition (I wanted to elimiate any
extraneous cruft).
2.  Sysinstall'ed portupgrade, csup, firefox, and windowmaker.
3.  Did portupgrade  -FRv on the ports I added in step 2 (this way I'd
have the files I needed, without having to have a wireless connection
after step 4).
4.  Canonical upgrade to current.
5.  Did make && make install for /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade and
/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8 (otherwise portupgrade seg-faulted).
6.  Did portupgrade -aR to bring everything up to date.

Works fine, lasts a long time. If I paint it green, I think it might grow!

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Patrick

Addendum: from now on I'm sticking to distfiles instead of packages.