Re: Unicode (was Re: Updating ncurses in base)

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:21:09 -0500
On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:58:49PM -0400 I heard the voice of
Thomas Dickey, and lo! it spake thus:
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:53:05PM -0400, J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> >
> > I believe the problem Matt's seeing is due to an error in the
> > UTF-8.src file that's distributed with FreeBSD.  I have a patch to
> > fix this.  Unfortunately, documentation of this patch was not
> > previously included in the unicode.html notes, an omission I have
> > now corrected.
>
> thanks - that hadn't occurred to me.

It hadn't occured to me either, but that's probably more because I
don't know what I'm doing; I'm just tired of seeing so many ?'s in my
email    8-}

With that patch, it seems to work right with the env var set in the
shell invoking xterm.  I can also take out the locale: false I had in
.Xresources, since that seems to be another facet of the same deal.

If somebody who knows more than I do about the subject could review
and commit that patch, it would be great.

> xterm also has optional width-tables which may be helpful:

Is this something we should look at (given the above), or is it more a
workaround for the problem that patch solves?

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net