Re: Unicode (was Re: Updating ncurses in base)

From: J.R. Oldroyd <fbsd_at_opal.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 23:14:55 -0400
On Jun 26, 20:21, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> If somebody who knows more than I do about the subject could review
> and commit that patch, it would be great.

Indeed it would.  I've not submitted the patch to gnats because
we've never had any peer review of this stuff and I suspect that
there are omissions.

In fact, there are!

Now that I look back at that patch, I realize I'd only made the
patch for combining characters which were specifically noted as
such in the file.  In fact, there are lots more combining and
non-spacing characters, all of which need to be listed with SWIDTH0
in the UTF-8.src file.

So I've just gone back and added SWIDTH0 for the non-spacing and
combining characters that I know of in Thai, Cyrillic, Hiragana and
the music symbols and updated the patch for these.  Since I know
none of these languages, I did this with reference to various Unicode
tables one the net, but it sure would be good for a few other folk
to review what I've done and in particular, check to see if there
are even more that need adding.

Related to this, I've been asked how to get combining characters
to work when displaying fonts in the firefox or opera browsers.  I
don't know.  It may just be a question of playing with the browser's
fonts, but it could also be that there are browser rendering problems.
Anyone have any insight here?

	-jr