Re: the errors when updating FreeBSD from 6.0-RELEASE to 7.0-CURRENT

From: Arseny Nasokin <tarc_at_tarc.po.cs.msu.su>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 05:54:05 +0400
On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 08:32:54AM +0800, Bill Xu wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I installed FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE, and then upgraded to 7.0-CURRENT. After
>  # make buildworld and # make buildkernel, I run # make installkernel,
> during this stage, it'll use kldxref to generate hints for the kernel
> loader, but at that time the kldxref in FreeBSD 6.0 can't do this, it
> must use the kldxref from -CURRENT, so I have to install the new version
> kldxref manually. This is a contradiction. :(. But after I install
> kldxref, it didn't work still, because kldxref will use libc.so.7......
>
> and then, I have to rum "# make installworld" before "# make
> installkernel". that's too bad.
>
> Bill Xu

You need fresh install.
AFAIK, kldxref(8) can be runned _after_ booting in single mode.

I use "fresh install" with all system updates(minor & major). I do it because -CURRENT changes too fast.
simple sheme is:
*
* update buildworld buildkernel
* installworld installkernel -DDESTDIR=/path/to/new/place
* etc merging (for example, by etcmerge(1))
* boot fixing
* (optionally) port installing in chroot (or jail) with new system
* reboot

--
   Best regards,
   	Arseny Nasokin