Re: make installkernel KERNCONF=COMPAQ

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:34:09 +0100
Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
> On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Balgansuren Batsukh wrote:
> > But when I try to make installkernel KERNCONF=COMPAQ, I get error
> > message "kldxref: file isn't dynamically-lined"
> I'm not sure why this happens, but it's not actually harmful, even
> if it's rather annoying.

It happens because we install symbol files along with the modules, and
kldxref tries to cross-reference them.

> Someone (tm) should fix this.

On i386, we can install modules with symbols instead of separate
symbol files.  On other platforms (amd64 at least) we need to hack the
kernel linker to ignore symbols when loading modules.  I had a go at
it a few months ago, but ran out of time.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no