[patch] new moused and psm patchset

From: Jordan Sissel <psionic_at_csh.rit.edu>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 04:08:35 -0400
I need some folks to test and criticize my work thus far for a
replacement mouse input system.

I have prepared a patch against April 12th's -CURRENT. Please test this
if you can.

If you are unfamiliar with my work, visit the project website:
http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/newpsm

The patch merges my work with -CURRENT in such a way that both the new
and old mouse systems are available. Instructions for building with the
new mouse system are on the website, but for convenience I'll list them
here aswell:

Download the patch:
http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/newpsm/patch-CURRENT-Apr.13.06.newmoused+newpsm

Apply the patch:
patch -p0 < patch-CURRENT-Apr.13.06.newmoused+newpsm

If you have a PS/2 mouse (Synaptics included), modify your kernel config to include the following:
device newpsm

Comment out or remove the "device psm" entry.

Rebuild world with:
make buildworld -DNEWMOUSE
make installworld -DNEWMOUSE

Rebuild kernel with the same options:
make buildkernel -DNEWMOUSE
make installkernel -DNEWMOUSE

If you are using newpsm, you should see the following during boot and in
dmesg, indicating that you have succeeded with building newpsm:

psm0: <(new) PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0

The big change is that /dev/psm0 can NO LONGER BE USED as a mouse device
for X, atleast as far as I know. It no longer talks sysmouse or
mousesystems protocol. It expects something higher, such as moused(8),
to translate.

You will have a new moused(8) with magic and fairy dust... or something.
For information on how to use the new mouse daemon, see the project
page.

There are many issues still needing to be resolved, but I've been using
this code base on my new and ancient laptops for several months now.

psm todo list:
  - remove Giant requirement
  - ensure it's properly written, my kernel code-fu is weak.

moused todo list:
  - write uhid driver
  - port up mouse support from the "old mouse" system, as demanded?

I know the code violates some of style(9), these will be fixed soon.

I need testers' and developers' help. I'm willing to code whatever folks
want to see in this new system, I just need to know what you want.

Testers: Tell me if it works or breaks and what mice you want supported.

Developers: My kernel-fu is weak, I could use some suggestions as to how
to clear psm of Giant and clean up some other issues with it.

Thanks,
-Jordan