Re: ZFS committed to the FreeBSD base.

From: Louis Kowolowski <louisk_at_cryptomonkeys.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:10:46 -0700
On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 12:51:25AM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> 486 support is definitively needed, but it is very unlikely that many
> real existing 486 system has enough RAM for ZFS.
> AFAIK a ELAN520 can have up to 256MB, but I doubt that one would
> spend so much RAM for such a system without better use for it.
> Not shure about 586, this is more likely.
> But I'm not very familar with x86 assembly, so I don't even know which
> CPUs have cmpxchg8b.
> If ZFS wouldn't be so greedy I might have used it on flash media for
> x86 and ARM systems, but those boards usually don't have enough RAM.

I'm some people would be interested in being able to use ZFS with boxes like
Soekris for NAS (FreeNAS comes to mind) type stuff...
--
Louis Kowolowski	KE7BAX			louisk_at_cryptomonkeys.com
Cryptomonkeys:                      http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/~louisk

Warning:  Do not point laser at remaining eye!