Re: ZFS committed to the FreeBSD base.

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely12.cicely.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 04:12:52 +0200
On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 04:10:46PM -0700, Louis Kowolowski wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 12:51:25AM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> > 486 support is definitively needed, but it is very unlikely that many
> > real existing 486 system has enough RAM for ZFS.
> > AFAIK a ELAN520 can have up to 256MB, but I doubt that one would
> > spend so much RAM for such a system without better use for it.
> > Not shure about 586, this is more likely.
> > But I'm not very familar with x86 assembly, so I don't even know which
> > CPUs have cmpxchg8b.
> > If ZFS wouldn't be so greedy I might have used it on flash media for
> > x86 and ARM systems, but those boards usually don't have enough RAM.
> >
> I'm some people would be interested in being able to use ZFS with boxes like
> Soekris for NAS (FreeNAS comes to mind) type stuff...

I'm currently running an NFS fileserver with 384M RAM, which seems to
work with some restrictions, but it is also putting pressure on the CPU,
which is a 700MHz PIII and this is not only while accessing compressed
data.
You might be able to get it running on a 256MB 4801, but don't expect
any speed wonders.
The upcoming 5501 might be a good candidate if populated with much RAM.
If I got the prototype picture on soekris.com right they have 512MBit
chips soldered, which gives 256MB only - more than enough for most
embedded use, but not with ZFS as it stands right now...
That said - I don't know what the default population really will be.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd_at_bwct.de           info_at_bwct.de            support_at_fizon.de