Re: Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_deepcore.dk>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 08:25:59 +0100
Travis Mikalson wrote:
>> So this is a successful workaround for the HT1000 on-board SATA, and
>> it looks like this additional workaround you just posted is pretty
>> universal and would also limit a Marvell PCI-X SATA controller's DMA
>> size.
>
> Er, scratch that, I see the max_iosize you set is in
> ata_serverworks_allocate() so this fix wouldn't help with a Marvell
> SATA controller plugged into the HT1000 system's PCI-X slot.
Yep, I'm not convinced there are "generic" DMA problems with that
chipset, but the ATA part definitively has trouble, I'm (slowly) working
my way through the different results here to try pinpoint the problem
more precisely.
I'm also going to try a Marvell ctlr later today, more news later...

> I also see this isn't first and only chipset to have the exact same
> dma max_iosize limit imposed :)
Right, the usual need for this limit is that the 64K size means that the
count reg is set to zero, and some HW designers just didn't get that right.

In this case its different as it does not always fail, but I havn't
found the combo that makes it fail yet. However the workaround seems to
be quite solid, but there might be a better / more correct way to solve
it still.

-Søren