Re: Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

From: Travis Mikalson <bofh_at_terranova.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 21:37:12 -0500
Søren Schmidt wrote:
> Yep, I'm not convinced there are "generic" DMA problems with that
> chipset, but the ATA part definitively has trouble, I'm (slowly) working
> my way through the different results here to try pinpoint the problem
> more precisely.
> I'm also going to try a Marvell ctlr later today, more news later...

Ah, very good, I was going to ask if you needed a Marvell PCI-X controller.

You're by far the expert compared to me in this arena, but I was having
the exact same issue (including the memory corruption) when booting from
the Marvell PCI-X SATA  controller... smells like a somewhat generic
HT1000 barfing-on-DMA problem to my inexperienced nose :)

>> I also see this isn't first and only chipset to have the exact same
>> dma max_iosize limit imposed :)
> Right, the usual need for this limit is that the 64K size means that the
> count reg is set to zero, and some HW designers just didn't get that right.
>
> In this case its different as it does not always fail, but I havn't
> found the combo that makes it fail yet. However the workaround seems to
> be quite solid, but there might be a better / more correct way to solve
> it still.

Perhaps something could be devised involving a kernel option that works
around the errata? Wouldn't be the first time. options
HT1000_WORKAROUND... would suck if it involved making an ifdef for every
ata driver :(

--
TerraNovaNet Internet Services - Key Largo, FL
Voice: (305)453-4011 x101   Fax: (305)451-5991