Re: amd64 NVIDIA support in FreeBSD 7

From: Ian FREISLICH <ianf_at_clue.co.za>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:25:21 +0200
Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> > While this is true (by the way, what is FreeBSD? nVidia is a
> > corporation, therefor not a democracy, but what is FreeBSD?), at
> > least a petition could show how many users would like to have amd64
> > nvidia support for FreeBSD.
>
> More or less they know already. Just have a look at the nVidia forum
> and count the messages there.

While that may be valid, it may only be accurate to a few orders
of magnitude.  Because:

I'm reasonably sure I'm not the only person to tell a story like
this.

I used to use an nVidia card.  It got retired when I upgraded my
machine and I specifically bought an ATI card.  It didn't need a
proprietry binary driver to make it work properly.  ATI seems to
have much better support in X and the drivers work on amd64.  I
don't think that I will ever buy another nVidia card.  In fact, I
was sorry I bought the last one almost immediately after I plugged
it in.  I wouldn't recomend that anyone buy an nVidia card either.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich