Re: status of 7.0

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 18:07:05 -0400
At 1:25 PM +0200 7/8/07, Marc "UBM" Bocklet wrote:

>I'd like to do some testing, but I'm a little bit afraid of the upgrade
>procedure 6.2-stable to -current. Is it possible to do a simple upgrade
>if I follow the guidelines in UPGRADE or are there any hidden caveats?
>(like "you've to recompile all installed ports", etc. :-))

For what it's worth, I just recently upgraded one of my i386 machines.
I first upgraded to the latest snapshot of 6.2-stable, and then I went
from there to 7.x-current.  I just did that on Friday, so I can't say
that I've tested everything yet.  But so far I haven't had any problems.

One note: when you build the new 7.x kernel on a 6.x system, you'll
see a number of scary-looking warning messages about:

       "kldxref: file isn't dynamically-linked"

but you can ignore those.  If those are the only warnings that you
see, then your kernel is probably fine.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org