Re: Console output stops - machine keeps on working

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:10:59 -0500
On 07/13/07 17:30, Gelsema, P (Patrick) - FreeBSD wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I've got an Asus M2N motherboard which I just upgraded to the latest
> available BIOS found on the Asus website. All went smooth.
>
> I am running FreeBSD 7-Current-200706. Everything seems to be detected
> during boot and all goes ok until the moment the message that the fxp0
> link state changed to up. After that moment the console output stops. I
> cannot get to other tty;s or get output running again.
>
> However the machine is responsive and I can log on by SSH remotely and do
> everything as if I were at the console. When I login by typing blind at
> the console and issue the reboot command or when I press the power off
> button on the workstation the console shows output again (not any use as
> it is then rebooting or powering off).
>
> See http://www.superhero.nl/messages.txt for the message output during boot.
>
> Anyone seen this kind of behaviour?

I have seen it before, but it was with some GEOM module (I think
gjournal beta patches), and only when I was booting verbosely.  If I
turned off verbose booting, it never happened.  I'm long past that now,
so I have no recent input on it, sorry.  My message is mostly a 'yea, me
too, a while back'.

You might try an updated -current, since there have been a few commits
that *may* help, but.. I wouldn't gamble on it..

Eric