Re: Strange performance characteristics with ZFS

From: Brian Donnell <bdonnell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:12:46 -0400
That was my fault, I misread what you had said your configuration was.  The
problem I ran into was the same as you're seeing with the system waiting on
ZFS causing the NFS client to hang and everything becoming unresponsive.
The ls script should be running on the ZFS machine and executing ls on the
ZFS directory.  If you have a smaller file to try with first I'd recommend
it.  30GB of corrupt data is just pain.  To be honest, I gave up on NFS with
ZFS and started using Samba for everything after compiling samba3 without a
couple functions (check the ZFS vs Samba debugging results thread from
earlier this month) as it actually maxes out a 100Mbit network link for the
transfer.  That's something I could never get NFS with ZFS to come close to
doing.

Just to be sure, since you're using nfsd, that means you have the sharenfs
option of the zfs pool turned off?

-- Brian