Re: RFT: bin/106642: [patch] Allow excluding certain files from mergemaster (8)

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:31:48 +0200 (CEST)
Doug Barton wrote:
 > Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

 > > DB> Simple answer, don't do that. Put your scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
 > > DB> instead, and as of 6.1 and newer they will be included in the base
 > > DB> rcorder. Therefore there will be no difference in when they are run.
 > > DB> There is a default assumption that stuff in /etc/rc.d is the systems,
 > > DB> and the systems only. Now that local scripts (including ports) are in
 > > DB> the base rcorder, there is no reason not to do it that way.
 > >
 > > The first exclusion in mind would be scripts that should be running before
 > > mounting file systems other than root...
 >
 > My recommendation in that scenario would be to play with the value of
 > early_late_divider until you got something that worked for you. That's
 > why I made it a variable. :)
 >
 > If there is a particular combination of things that have to happen
 > that early_late_divider won't work for, I'd be interested in hearing
 > that so that we could look at possibly adjusting the code if it's
 > possible.

On my notebook I have a script /etc/rc.d/net-detect that
pings several IP addresses in order to find out in which
network environment the notebook is used (at the office,
at home with wlan, at home with 100base-t, or no network
at all).  The script then adjusts several symlinks based
on the network environment, i.e. several files in /etc
are changed, including rc.conf, ntp.conf, resolv.conf,
fstab (!), hosts and others.

That script runs as the very first rc script, even before
root is mounted r/w (it does fsck -p / + mount -u -o rw /,
then changes the symlinks, then mount -u -o ro /).

Works perfectly fine for me.  The only thing I need to be
careful about is to tell mergemaster not to remove that
script.  Mergemaster's default, unfortunately, is to delete
all unknown scripts in /etc/rc.d.  Of course I do have a
backup copy, so I can easily recover if needed.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I invented Ctrl-Alt-Delete, but Bill Gates made it famous."
        -- David Bradley, original IBM PC design team