Re: ULE/SCHED_SMP diff for 7.0

From: Marc <ubm_at_u-boot-man.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:44:37 +0200
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 23:35:38 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_chesapeake.net> wrote:

> http://people.freebsd.org/~jeff/ule.diff
>
> This patch is scheduled for inclusion in 7.0.  I would like anyone
> who cares to run it to validate that it does not create any stability
> or performance regression over the existing ULE.  This patch replaces
> ULE with SCHED_SMP, which will now no longer exist as a seperate fork
> of ULE.
>
> Briefly, this is still a very suitable scheduler for uniprocessor
> machines while providing stronger affinity and other performance
> improvements for multiprocessor machines.
>
> Even "works for me!" type responses are welcome so I know roughly how
> many people have tested before I commit this close to release.

FreeBSD blah.blah 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #2: Tue Jul 17
12:31:02 CEST 2007

Seems stable here, just survived a buildworld -j4 + basic load
(mysql-server, apache, imapd, fetchmail, procmail, spamassassin)
without problems. Interactivity was very good throughout.

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ (2210.77-MHz 686-class CPU)

It's a uniprocessor system running an i386 kernel.

Bye
Marc

--
"A sudden blow: the great wings beating still
Above the staggering girl, her thighs caressed

W.B. Yeats, Leda and the Swan