Re: LOR's, and a panic (ipf NAT related?)

From: Oleg Bulyzhin <oleg_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:19:49 +0400
On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 04:31:37PM +0200, Attilio Rao wrote:
>  Patrick Lamaiziere wrote:
> > Le Sat, 21 Jul 2007 20:36:31 -0500,
> > Eric Anderson <anderson_at_freebsd.org> a ?crit :
> >> Today, on a -CURRENT from a few days ago (running ULE 3.0), I got a
> >> panic:
> >>
> >> panic: Trying sleep, but thread marked as sleeping prohibited
> >> cpuid = 0
> >>

>  This one should have been fixed in last ULE3.0 revision, could you please
>  update your src/sys and see if it goes away?
>
>  About the other LORs, you should see in the bz's page if they are alredy
>  listes, since it seems I remind at least one of them:
>  http://sources.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/lor.html
>

>  Thanks,
>  Attilio

This panic is not ULE related. It came from wrong sx lock usage inside ipfilter.
I tried to use recently imported (into -current) ipfilter 4.1.23 and found it
is almost unusable (at least ipnat): it's very unstable (several hangs or
deadlocks per day), it does leak memory.

I've spent some time on fixing ipfilter's bugs, then sent report to ipfilter's
author. Unfortunately, i failed to get any feedback.

You can get patch here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~oleg/patches/ipfilter.r70.diff

I would not swear it's 100% correct, but it should make ipfilter much more
stable. It does following:
- sx locks converted to rwlocks. (this should be done, cause pfil(4) uses
  rwlocks, which are not sleepable).
- fixed memory leak inside nat_getnext()
- fixed several improper checks of array's boundary.
- added some missing mutex_destroy() calls
- ipfilter's attaching/detaching procedure changed a bit in order to fix some
  LORs.

--
Oleg.

=== Oleg Bulyzhin -- OBUL-RIPN -- OBUL-RIPE -- oleg_at_rinet.ru ===