Re: pf(4) status in 7.0-R

From: Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 13:39:23 +0200
On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net> writes:
> > Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no> writes:
> > >
> > > ftp-proxy(8) and tftp-proxy(8) would be nice...
> >
> > ... I'm at it.  Could you maybe lend a hand with importing
> > libevent[1] which is a requirement for ftp-proxy now?  It should make
> > a good addition to base anyhow - as a convenient (and portable)
> > interface to kqueue.
>
> Convenient and portable, but buggy as hell - we used it in Varnish to
> begin with but had to ditch it due to a combination of design flaws and
> bugs.  It also suffers from creeping featuritis - the latest version
> includes a DNS resolver and a full HTTP implementation...  it's only a
> matter of time before it grows a lisp interpreter and a mail reader.

hmmm ... okay, didn't know that.  But what do you suggest as an
alternative?  I certainly won't reinvent the wheel for the libevent calls
in ftp-proxy.  Importing libevent code private to ftp-proxy seems equally
wrong.  So the alternatives - to me at least - are either importing
libevent or leaveing ftp-proxy in ports.  Pick your poison.

--
/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier_at_freebsd.org
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/  | mlaier_at_EFnet