Re: gcc memory consumption: amd64 v i386

From: Michiel Boland <michiel_at_boland.org>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 16:19:38 +0200 (MEST)
>> Hi. I noticed that compilation of xorg-server on i386 with the new gcc
>> proceeds normally, whereas compilation on amd64 would crash because the
>> compiler would consume all memory. The i386 and amd64 boxen have the same
>> amount of RAM and swap, obviously. And they run, give or take a few hours,
>> more or less same version of -CURRENT.
>
> It does not crash if you have enough swap. I have 2 GB swap and it
> proceeded fine after some swapping.

The point I was trying to make (although perhaps not clearly enough) is
that there is no reason that a trivial source file takes up such a huge
amount of memory to compile. Especially since gcc 3.4.6 does not blow up
like that.

If every new gcc version means I have to readjust the amount of memory in
my box, I guess I'll pass the next time a gcc upgrade happens. This is not
what I would call progress.

Anyway, I will get back under my stone now. :)