Re: size of kernel after gcc4.2 upgrade

From: Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 16:23:53 +0200
On Saturday 26 May 2007 16:04:21 Roman Divacky wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 03:54:37PM +0200, Stefan Ehmann wrote:

> > > I'm using the default make flags. In my case, it's release,
> > > non-debugging 6-RELEASE kernel of 26 MB vs debugging kernel of
> > > 7-CURRENT of 106 MB :)
> >
> > I guess that's due to /boot/kernel/*.symbols which are not present in my
> > 6.2 installation. gcc42 file size increase shouldn't be that much.
>
> thats the problem. with -Os and gcc42 the kernel increases A LOT (60%),
> other optimization levels doesnt seem to be affected

Yes, but Ivan said he used default flags. So I think in his case the symbol
files are mainly responsible for the 106MB vs 26MB.

There's definitely something fishy about the -Os build.

As I wrote earlier today: It looks like -Os does excessive inlining. Which
might possibly be caused by our gcc options or a gcc bug.

Setting a very low -finline-limit for testing purposes gives reasonable
filesizes.

Any gcc experts around to comment on this issue?

Stefan