Re: sata atapi on ich9r

From: Aryeh M. Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 15:49:35 -0400
>> Note to the development team:   No I was not tripping when I reported
>> these same issues just unable to provide proof
>
> I guarantee you are not tripping.  :(

Please inform the my doctors (certain "a not repeatable issue" people on
this list) of that fact

>> Note to sam: Do you have any development experience if so I invite you
>> to help me in my current project to patch the ata driver to fix all
>> these issues (the ata developer told me since he doesn't have access to
>> a ich9r/p35 system no patch and/or cvsup would be forth coming on these
>> issues)... I am also a developer but at the moment am very tied up with
>> making a living so I will give what help I can but can't do the whole
>> project alone
>
> I can try to help, but I am also busy (crunch-time at work).

Later tonight I am going to set up an informal clearinghouse list/wiki
for this issue so we can be more systematic about it.

> My system is an Asus P5K-E/WiFi with a DVDR <LITE-ON DVDRW
> LH-20A1S/9L08>.  It has 4GB RAM and two SATA hard drives.  I have no
> PATA drives in it.  It is running in RAID mode.

I assume amd64 right?

> Unfortunately, this is my only workstation at home, so I will not be
> changing versions.  I am willing to make changes to the driver.  Here is
> a patch[1] to recognize and print the ICH9R during boot.  It does not
> change anything functionally.
>
> My current notes:
> 1. burncd (without atapicam loaded), cdrecord and dd can all produce
>    warnings.
>    dd if=/dev/acd0 of=/dev/null bs=10M count=1

burncd gives me no warnings (except on fixate [read time outs]) so this
is cosmetics I think (a local issue for you)

> 2. sysinstall will fail during install when copying GENERIC kernel.
>    This was on my work computer in a Dell Optiplex 745 with 1GB RAM.
>    atapci0: <Intel ICH8 SATA300 controller>
>    acd0: CDRW <HL-DT-ST CD-RW/DVD-ROM GCC-H10N/C103> at ata3-master
> SATA150

Like I asked the other person what is the actual performence of acd0
(150 or 300)?

> 3. Do not detach a channel with atacontrol.  I tried that on the channel
>    with the DVD drive.  Panic.

I will have to look at this.

> 4. I am thinking about writing a program to perform simple tests on the
>    ATAPI ioctl's.  Maybe one exists?

Don't know but this is defently a good starting place to gather base
data with (have sam run it also)

> 5. PATA is not related since I have no PATA drives in my computer.

Ideally I should see the following on my machine (bios sees it) but the
above dmesg snip shows I don't:

500 GB HDD SATA/300
OEM DVDR,-RW,+R SATA/300
250 GB HDD PATA UDMA/133 (I have an other 250 GB I want to install as
soon this one is reconized)

> Sean
>   1. http://www.farley.org/freebsd/tmp/ata-chipset.c.diff

I will try it tonight.