Re: sata atapi on ich9r

From: Sean C. Farley <scf_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 21:01:22 -0500 (CDT)
On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

*snip*

> Later tonight I am going to set up an informal clearinghouse list/wiki
> for this issue so we can be more systematic about it.

That sounds good.

>> My system is an Asus P5K-E/WiFi with a DVDR <LITE-ON DVDRW
>> LH-20A1S/9L08>.  It has 4GB RAM and two SATA hard drives.  I have no
>> PATA drives in it.  It is running in RAID mode.
>
> I assume amd64 right?

No.  i386 (w/o PAE) since I am using the nVidia driver.  I also have
memory mapping disabled else the system will panic with that driver.  I
am only able to access 3GB.

>> Unfortunately, this is my only workstation at home, so I will not be
>> changing versions.  I am willing to make changes to the driver.  Here
>> is a patch[1] to recognize and print the ICH9R during boot.  It does
>> not change anything functionally.
>>
>> My current notes:
>> 1. burncd (without atapicam loaded), cdrecord and dd can all produce
>>    warnings.
>>    dd if=/dev/acd0 of=/dev/null bs=10M count=1
>
> burncd gives me no warnings (except on fixate [read time outs]) so
> this is cosmetics I think (a local issue for you)

The warning I am referring to are what goes to syslog.  The same
warnings I presume you are getting:
acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying

>> 2. sysinstall will fail during install when copying GENERIC kernel.
>>    This was on my work computer in a Dell Optiplex 745 with 1GB RAM.
>>    atapci0: <Intel ICH8 SATA300 controller>
>>    acd0: CDRW <HL-DT-ST CD-RW/DVD-ROM GCC-H10N/C103> at ata3-master
>> SATA150
>
> Like I asked the other person what is the actual performence of acd0
> (150 or 300)?

The specification for my LITE-ON drive does not say anything but SATA,
so I assume SATA150.  The Dell drive is a CD burner/DVD drive.  I really
doubt it could be 300.  atacontrol list shows both DVD drives to be
"Serial ATA v1.0".

My drives at home are definitely 150.  At work my WDC WD800JD shows up
as 150 although it is a 300.

>> 5. PATA is not related since I have no PATA drives in my computer.
>
> Ideally I should see the following on my machine (bios sees it) but
> the above dmesg snip shows I don't:
>
> 500 GB HDD SATA/300
> OEM DVDR,-RW,+R SATA/300
> 250 GB HDD PATA UDMA/133 (I have an other 250 GB I want to install as
> soon this one is reconized)

Does it change depending on how you have SATA configured (IDE/RAID/AHCI)
in the BIOS?

Sean
--
scf_at_FreeBSD.org