Re: sata atapi on ich9r

From: Aryeh M. Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 18:38:25 -0400
Sean C. Farley wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
>> Later tonight I am going to set up an informal clearinghouse list/wiki
>> for this issue so we can be more systematic about it.
>
> That sounds good.

In the process of doing that right now will publicly announce it when
complete.

>>> My system is an Asus P5K-E/WiFi with a DVDR <LITE-ON DVDRW
>>> LH-20A1S/9L08>.  It has 4GB RAM and two SATA hard drives.  I have no
>>> PATA drives in it.  It is running in RAID mode.
>>
>> I assume amd64 right?
>
> No.  i386 (w/o PAE) since I am using the nVidia driver.  I also have
> memory mapping disabled else the system will panic with that driver.  I
> am only able to access 3GB.

What kind of board (I blew out a 8500 GS attempting the same thing so I
am no using a 5200 GT under nv)?

BTW after we fix these IHC9R (SATA only?) issues I was thinking of
tackling nvidia's kernel request list intrested in that project also?

>>> 2. sysinstall will fail during install when copying GENERIC kernel.
>>>    This was on my work computer in a Dell Optiplex 745 with 1GB RAM.
>>>    atapci0: <Intel ICH8 SATA300 controller>
>>>    acd0: CDRW <HL-DT-ST CD-RW/DVD-ROM GCC-H10N/C103> at ata3-master
>>> SATA150
>>
>> Like I asked the other person what is the actual performence of acd0
>> (150 or 300)?
>
> The specification for my LITE-ON drive does not say anything but SATA,
> so I assume SATA150.  The Dell drive is a CD burner/DVD drive.  I really
> doubt it could be 300.  atacontrol list shows both DVD drives to be
> "Serial ATA v1.0".

For some reason I wasn't even aware of atacontrol ;-)

> My drives at home are definitely 150.  At work my WDC WD800JD shows up
> as 150 although it is a 300.

Same issue so we should add it to the issue list

>>> 5. PATA is not related since I have no PATA drives in my computer.
>>
>> Ideally I should see the following on my machine (bios sees it) but
>> the above dmesg snip shows I don't:
>>
>> 500 GB HDD SATA/300
>> OEM DVDR,-RW,+R SATA/300
>> 250 GB HDD PATA UDMA/133 (I have an other 250 GB I want to install as
>> soon this one is reconized)
>
> Does it change depending on how you have SATA configured (IDE/RAID/AHCI)
> in the BIOS?

After I am done setting up the wiki I am going to open the box up and
play around with stuff so will report then