Re: idea bouncing: using cvs as a replacement for mergemaster

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:45:26 +1030
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2007-11-27 22:45, "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I was thinking seeing the fact that I already have a cvs repo of
> > - -current does it make sense to just use CVS to update /etc
> > instead of mergemaster... if so any ideas on doing it cleanly?
>
> It may work, but it doesn't ``scale'' to dozens of machines, and you
> still have to do merging when upstream files (the ones in the FreeBSD
> repository) change.  It's not particularly hard to merge with CVS, if
> you consider the src/etc files of FreeBSD a ``vendor branch'', but
> it's not exactly a fun ride either.

etcmerge does a 3 way merge which makes most updates almost completely
painless.. It does need to be taught to special case certain files tho
(ie all of the ones derived from others like spwd.db, aliases.db, etc)
but apart from that it is very nice.

It is a port - sysutils/etcmerge.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum