Re: Xen Status : FreeBSD-current as Dom/U.

From: Kevin Schmidt <kps_at_ucsb.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:19:32 -0700
On Thursday 25 October 2007, Erik Osterholm wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 05:06:49AM +0900, Harrison Grundy wrote:
> > >
> > > FreeBSD currently does not support running under Xen.
> >
> > I just thought I'd note that you can use Xen with FreeBSD if your
> > processor supports hardware virtualization, I believe.
>
> I have yet to hear any independant verification of this.  Anyone
> actually running FreeBSD as a domU with hardware virtualization?

FWIW, I've tried FreeBSD as an HVM guest on several Linux distros as
Dom0, Xen 3.0 (3.0.3, 3.0.4) and 3.1 (3.1.0), using Xen packages and
manual compiles.  Linux distros included Ubuntu 7.04 and Debian 4.
FreeBSD 6.2 and 7.0 -- release and snapshots -- consistently fail to
boot with a looping "BTX halted" and register dump.  If there's a way
to install stock FreeBSD under Xen HVM, I haven't seen it.  Without
saying whether this is properly a Xen problem or FBSD BTX problem, my
guess is this type of installation will not work until there are BTX
changes.

--
Kevin Schmidt
Office of Information Technology