Re: Xen Status : FreeBSD-current as Dom/U.

From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash+freebsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:12:37 -0700
On October 28, 2007 01:19 pm Kevin Schmidt wrote:
> On Thursday 25 October 2007, Erik Osterholm wrote:

> > > I just thought I'd note that you can use Xen with FreeBSD if your
> > > processor supports hardware virtualization, I believe.
> >
> > I have yet to hear any independant verification of this.  Anyone
> > actually running FreeBSD as a domU with hardware virtualization?
>
> FWIW, I've tried FreeBSD as an HVM guest on several Linux distros as
> Dom0, Xen 3.0 (3.0.3, 3.0.4) and 3.1 (3.1.0), using Xen packages and
> manual compiles.  Linux distros included Ubuntu 7.04 and Debian 4.
> FreeBSD 6.2 and 7.0 -- release and snapshots -- consistently fail to
> boot with a looping "BTX halted" and register dump.  If there's a way
> to install stock FreeBSD under Xen HVM, I haven't seen it.  Without
> saying whether this is properly a Xen problem or FBSD BTX problem, my
> guess is this type of installation will not work until there are BTX
> changes.

Crap, that's not what I want to hear.  :(

Any chance you would be willing/able to test using XenEnterprise 4 as the
Dom0 (there's a free version available at:
    http://www.citrixxenserver.com/products/Pages/XenExpress.aspx).

We're in the process of ordering a system for use with Xen and were hoping
to use if for virtualising FreeBSD 7.x (using HVM), Windows 2k3 (using
HVM), along with Debian and Ubuntu Server (using paravirt).

--
Freddie Cash, LPIC-2 CCNT CCLP      Network Support Technician
School District 73                  (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]