Re: SCHED_ULE on desktop system

From: David E. Thiel <lx_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:37:09 -0700
On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 12:44:52AM -0700, Jeff Roberson wrote:
> What has happened is that you have run an x application that is so
> expensive we no longer consider it interactive.  Unfortunately, due to the
> nature of the x server architecture, much of the compute time is spent in
> x11 rather than the offending application.  There really isn't anything to
> be done in this case other than mark X as real-time.  You can try to tune
> up the interactivity heuristic limit by setting kern.sched.interact to a
> higher value.  This will help with short term bursts of x server cpu
> utilization, however, sustained, expensive x windows processing will always
> trigger poorer interactive behavior.

FWIW, Sept 20th's current has gotten rid of the audio stuttering for me.
Redraw and mouse movement still gets some slowdowns (even with X rtprio'd),
but I think I'll wait for the new nvidia driver to come out before I can
blame it on anything scheduler-related. So, something in the recent ULE
commits has worked. Thanks!

(for the record, I was never swapping)

-David