Re: TSP on em makes send of streams very slow

From: Jack Vogel <jfvogel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:47:36 -0700
On 9/22/07, Artem Kuchin <matrix_at_itlegion.ru> wrote:
> > TSO is for some environments, it isn't gonna be useful at 100Mb
> > (which you are), it can be useful at 1Gb but not always, when you get
> > to 10G its
> > a HUGE benefit.
> >
> > Just cuz you can shoot yourself in the foot doesn't mean the gun has a
> > problem :)
>
> But wait, i did not shoot myself. I have been shot by the driver w/o any
> preliminary warning. TSO4 was enabled by DEFAULT (i did not enable it),
> so anybody can be in my place if used the same driver on the similar hardware
> (which is plenty).
>
> So, i think this is a problem which really need to be addressed.

It is on by default because it the majority of cases its a benefit, you
found it to be a problem and turned it off, your problem is solved.

I admit, at one point I considered disabling it automatically for anything
under Gig speed, but a large community has used this driver with this
feature for over a year, no one has lobbied to have to disabled, so I
have not.

If there are others who think this would be a good idea, speak up, and
I will do so.

Cheers,

Jack