Re: Unicode-based FreeBSD

From: Alexander Churanov <alexanderchuranov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:52:48 +0400
2008/8/25 Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>

> On Aug 25, 2008, at 6:21 AM, Alexander Churanov wrote:
>
>  I'm just trying to be realistic and provide doable solution. I leave plans
>> of rewriting every bit of software to others. And I even think that latter
>> is not required, since syscons console is probably not heavily used now.
>>

> This is not true. FreeBSD is used in far more environments
> than the typical desktop environment running X11. It is
> therefore important to realize that you cannot claim that
> there's always X11 to fall back upon when it comes to i18n
> or that those cases are not significant or important enough
> to consider.
>
> FYI,
>
> --
> Marcel Moolenaar
> xcllnt_at_mac.com

Marcel,

I do not know thestatistics, but as for me I'm either using FreeBSD as a
desktop, or as a server (firewall, gateway, router, database - do not
matter). On a desktop machine I have X and server is typically managed via
ssh. This leaves only installation and single-user modes for syscons
console. Other uses are rare for me.

And how do you use syscons?

Alexander Churanov