Re: csh history and pts

From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:09:50 +0200
Hello Pawel,

* Pawel Worach <pawel.worach_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since the MPSAFETTY landing and pts being the default csh seems to loose
> the contents of ~/.history when "shutdown -r now" is issued, I'm not
> sure about the timeframe but I have not noticed this before and I use
> history quite a bit.
>
> Steps to reproduce (tested with root):
> 1) Login on console (ttyv0)
> 2) Issued a couple of commands
> 3) Logout
> 5) 'history' and your previous session shows up, all good.
> 6) 'shutdown -r now'
> 7) After boot, login, 'history' and it's blank.
>
> At step #6 a reboot(8) does not cause this, only shutdown(8), or at
> least so it seems. Does shutdown(8) send a evil signal to csh so it
> looses the history?
>
> Relevant parts of .cshrc:
> set history = 2000
> set savehist = (2000 merge)

Can you tell me how pts is related to this? Looking at your steps, I
can't see how pts is involved with this, because you happen to use
syscons(4) here.

Some people on IRC told me that (t)csh had some problems with "pty
detection" with MPSAFE TTY, but grepping through the source and asking
various people around the globe, I still have no idea what "pty
detection" is and why (t)csh has the urge to "detect pty's".

Maybe a (t)csh guru can help me out?

--
 Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/