Re: NATM hardware available

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 17:14:14 +0000 (GMT)
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Bruce Simpson wrote:

> Hartmut Brandt wrote:
>
>> In any case there is still an Todo on my side: the routing information for
>> NETNATM is currently lost somewhere between L2 and L3 :-) I guess I come
>> back to you in the new year to fix this issue... Have to fetch my ATM
>> equipment from the corner where it is collecting dust to setup a testbed.
>
> Guys:
>
> Native NATM support would be nice, because it lets FreeBSD be used as a
> direct ADSL endpoint without an external ADSL router.
>
> I have a pair of ATM25 cards, an ATM25 crossover, and an ATM25-to-ADSL G.DMT
> modem bagged up ready to ship to someone who has the time and motivation to
> work on NATM.
>
> Also: I did have an ATM25 capable switch which I left at ICSI in Berkeley, I
> don't know where it is at the moment due to people movements.

Do we have any of the necessary software parts to do simulated ATM hardware
similar to what if_tap does for Ethernet?  Using the VIMAGE stuff and virtual
ATM hardware might open up the door to a more accessible development and test
environment.  I did the NATM locking work essentially "blind" due to a lack of
test environment locally, which seemed to work out, but a software test system
would go a long way.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge