Re: FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

From: Wilko Bulte <wb_at_freebie.xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:54:20 +0100
Quoting Aryeh M. Friedman, who wrote on Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 08:00:53AM -0500 ..

> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >> I decided to elaborate slightly on the previous reply....
> >
> > I am fully with Wilko here.
> >
> > We don't need to change the license or use any other means to beat
> > our users over the head.
> >
> > We need them to understand the problem, and act as intelligent
> > human beings.
> >
> > A lot of our users do this.  We have many crucial FreeBSD
> > developers employed at companies which understand that developer
> > support is key to FreeBSDs future.
> >
> > We just need more of that.
>
> We also need to have better avenues for people who want to contribute
> but do not have the economic means to subsidize there work from some
> large company, gov. agency and/or university... i.e. there is no room
> for independent people to contribute on a full time basis...
>
> As I said in an other message this is not about saying the current has
> anything wrong with it, just that it can be improved.
>
> Volunteer efforts are great and I fully support them (such as my work
> on ports 2.0) but the larger they grow the harder it gets to do it all
> volunteer (every large non-profit has paid full-time employees after
> all)... to paraphrase an other organization I am involved in we should
> "be completely self supporting through our own ....contributions"...
> this includes more then just service it includes supporting those who
> do such service...
>
> BTW as to the single sentence that would recitify this in the bsd
> license it would be something as simple as:
>
>     "Execution of covered work in any form may be conditioned to
> payment fees (if any) and/or performing work in kind detailed at

As far as I'm concerned: if a license like that comes to core for a vote
I would vote "No".

This thread seems to move from the concerns our German friends have into
a licensing debate.  I feel it would be better if we could get back on track
here.

--
Wilko Bulte				wilko_at_FreeBSD.org